- 1 3/4 cup, plus 2 tbsp sugar, divided
- 1 3/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1 lb. frozen phyllo dough, thawed (about 40 9x14 inch sheets)
- 3/4 cup butter
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly coat large rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
2. Dissolve 1 3/4 cups sugar in the water in a medium sauce pan. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce hear and simmer for 10 minutes.
3. Add lemon juice and bring to boil again. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
4. Combine walnuts and remaining 2 tbsp sugar.
5. Open phyllo dough and spread it out. Place 2 sheets of dough on baking sheet. Cover remaining phyllo dough with damp cloth to keep it from drying. Liberally brush the top of the 2 sheets with butter. Place 2 more sheet on top and brush with butter. Please 2 more sheets on top and brush with butter. Repeat until 1/2 the dough is used.
6. Spread walnut mixture over dough.
7. Place 2 sheets of dough over walnut mixture. Brush with butter, repeat until remaining dough is used. Be sure to brush the top layer with butter.
8. Cut baklava into 4 strips (2 1/2 inch wide x 14 inches long). Dip the water in between each cut. Cut each strip into 4 rectangles (2 1/2 inch wide x 14 inches long). Cut each rectangle in half diagonally.
9. Bake 25-30 minutes until golden brown. Cool for 10 minute. Drizzle sugar syrup over baklava and serve.