Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese
- 1 lb. butternut squash, peeled and cut into large large pieces
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp mustard
- 3 cups low-fat shredded cheddar cheese
- 8oz whole wheat or whole grain elbow macaroni, cooked
- 1/4 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tsp olive oil
1. Cook macaroni according to package directions and preheat oven to 375 degrees. Add squash and water to blender. Pulse to chop and mix.
2. In a sauce pan, place squash, water, milk, salt, pepper and mustard. Simmer on medium heat for 20 minutes. Add 2 1/2 cups of shredded cheese and stir until melted. Cook until warm, then let cool.
3. Using a food processor or blended, add the cooled mixture. Blend on speed 1 and slowly increase to 5 and process until smooth.
4. Place cooked macaroni in a lightly sprayed 2 1/2 qt baking dish. Pour squash mixture over macaroni. Toss bread crumbs, remaining cheddar cheese, parmesan cheese and oil together. Scatter over top of macaroni mixture.
5. Bake for 20-25 minutes until bubbly.