Mashed Potatoes with Bacon and Cheddar
- 5 lbs. Russet Potatoes
- 10 slices bacon
- 8oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup chives, minced
- 2 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Peel potatoes and cut into 1 inch chunks. Place in large sauce pan and add enough water to cover by about 2 inches. Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce to simmer. Cook until tender and easily pierced, about 20 minutes. Transfer to colander and drain, return to pan, cover and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add bacon and cook until crisp and browned. Transfer to paper towel to drain, let cool. Crumble into pieces.
3. Mash potatoes in pan until light and fluffy. Add cream cheese, butter and sour cream. Stir until combined and smooth. Add the chives, 2 cups cheddar cheese, half the bacon, salt and pepper. Stir until well combined.
4. Transfer to a buttered 3 quart baking dish and top with remaining 1/2 cup cheddar cheese. Bake until top is slightly golden and potatoes are heated through, about 30 minutes. Remove from oven, garnish with remaining bacon.
* Okay so this isn't a healthy recipe, BUT i made it last year for Thanksgiving and everyone loved it so I had to post it. You could make it healthier with fat free cream cheese, turkey bacon, fat free sour cream, cheese etc. But in my experience, mashed potatoes don't come out that good with those ingredients. Mashed potatoes will always be a fattening recipe for me, which is probably why I never have it. Except on Thanksgiving when you Go Big or Go Home!