Spicy Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and chopped
- 2 apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
1. Make chicken stock according to package. (for for cups, usually 2 packs for 4 cups water) Heat on medium high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low.
2. Place butternut squash and apples into blender. Blend on low for one 30 seconds. Turn to high for 30 seconds. Pulse a few times.
3. Use a spoon to push squash and apple mixture back to bottom of blender. Add extra virgin olive oil, cinnamon, salt, honey, ginger and chili powder to blender. Blend on low 30 seconds then on high 30 seconds until mixed well.
4. Add squash and apple mixture to heated chicken/veggie stock. Turn heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for at least one hour. Serve warm and garnish with basil leaves, apples, roasted pecans and cinnamon.
* This recipe is so satisfying and great on your tummy. When I cooked it I actually used 1 tsp chili powder and it was too spicy so I reduced the amount. Use 1 tsp if you want to spice it up!