Sweet-Apple Chicken Sausage Pasta
- 1 lb. gemelli pasta (reserve 1/2 cup pasta cooking water)
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 12oz al-fresco sweet-apple chicken sausage, sliced
- 1 apple (about 1 cup, chopped)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- pinch red chili pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- 15oz can great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 6 oz spinach
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
1. Cook pasta in large pot of salted boiling water until al dente. Reserve 1/2 cup pasta cooking water drain the rest and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, heat extra virgin olive oil in a very large skillet over medium high heat. Add onion and sausage. Saute until sausage is golden brown, about 4 minutes. Add apple, garlic and red chili powder. Season with salt and pepper. Saute about 5 minutes.
3. Add chicken broth, beans and spinach. Toss until spinach is wilted, about 1 minute.
4. Pour sausage and apple mixture into pot with pasta and add parmesan cheese. Stir until combined, adding reserved water to reach desired consistency.
* I got this recipe from Iowagirleats blog. The al-fresco chicken sausage is so good. I recommend adding it to other recipes!